At some point during your interview, you will likely hear the dreaded question: Why should we hire you? Although it seems simple, this question can be tricky and intimidating if you’re not prepared. Here are a few steps you can take to prepare a thoughtful, impressive response.
The interviewer might give you a chance to sell your value as an employee by asking one of these questions:
- Why should we hire you?
- What makes you a good fit for this job?
- Why do you think your experience and background are a good fit for this position?
- Why are you the best person for this job?
- Why are you interested in this position?
Table of Contents:
- Why do employers ask, “Why should we hire you?”
- How to answer, “Why should we hire you?”
- Steps for Answering “Why should we hire you?”
- Step 1: Show them you’ve done your research and know what the job involves
- Step 2: Explain why your background and experience would be a good fit for the position
- Step 3: Show them you’re excited about the job and will be motivated and enthusiastic in the role
- Why should we hire you? Best Sample Answers
- Common mistakes to avoid
Why Do Employers Ask “Why Should We Hire You?”
Employers ask the question “Why should we hire you?” to evaluate a candidate’s qualifications, skills, and alignment with the company’s requirements. It is a way for employers to measure how well a candidate understands the job requirements and how they can contribute to the company’s success.
When answering this question, it is important to highlight your qualifications, skills, exceptional qualities, and strengths that are relevant to the position. You should provide three to four significant reasons why you are qualified for the job and emphasize the skills that make you stand out from other candidates. Additionally, you can mention your exceptional qualities and strengths that are relevant to the position
How to answer, “Why should we hire you?”
When answering the question “Why should we hire you?”, it is crucial to showcase your distinctive value proposition and emphasize why you are the most suitable candidate for the position. Here are some steps to help you craft a compelling answer:
- Understand the job requirements: Review the job description and identify the key skills, qualifications, and qualities the employer is seeking in a candidate.
- Identify your strengths: Reflect on your experiences, skills, and achievements to identify your strengths that align with the job requirements. Consider both hard skills (technical expertise) and soft skills (communication, leadership, problem-solving) when evaluating your qualifications.
- Connect your qualifications to the job: Clearly articulate how your qualifications, skills, and experiences make you an excellent fit for the position. Provide specific examples that demonstrate your abilities and accomplishments.
- Highlight your unique selling points: Emphasize what sets you apart from other candidates. This could be a rare combination of skills, relevant certifications, industry knowledge, or a track record of success.
- Show enthusiasm and passion: Convey your genuine interest in the role and the company. Explain how your passion for the field drives your motivation and willingness to contribute to the company’s success.
- Be concise and focused: Keep your answer concise and to the point. Avoid rambling or providing irrelevant details. Stick to the most compelling reasons why the employer should hire you.
- Practice and prepare: Rehearse your answer to ensure a confident and well-articulated response. Consider recording yourself or practicing with a friend to receive feedback and refine your delivery.
Remember, your answer should be tailored to the specific job and company you’re interviewing for. Research the company’s values, mission, and culture to align your response with their needs and demonstrate your understanding of their organization.
“Why should we hire you?” Steps for Answering
With enough preparation (and maybe a confidence boost from family and friends), you will be well on your way to giving the perfect answer!
1. Show them you’ve done your research and know what the job involves
Review the job posting to get a deeper understanding of what the employer is looking for. To determine the specific qualities and skills they seek, look at the requirements, education, and experience section. These will give you an idea of which of your qualifications are relevant for the position. But it doesn’t end with the job description. Next, spend some time studying the company. Their mission, projects, and goals can give you an idea of what qualities they seek in their employees. Moreover, this information can help you plan your answer. To show that you’ve done your research, explain which of their values resonate with you or how you could help them achieve some of their goals.
2. Explain why your background and experience would be a good fit for the position
When formulating your response, establish a connection between your experience and the specific position and company. In other words, explain how your qualifications make you the ideal candidate for this particular job. At the very least, address each requirement outlined in the job posting and support your claims with relevant examples from your career. But to stand out, you should also add any information about your background that could give you a competitive advantage. This could be anything relevant to the job, from being multilingual to volunteering abroad.
3. Show them you’re excited about the job and will be motivated and enthusiastic in the role
Being invited to an interview means the employer most likely knows you’re capable of performing everyday duties. So, apart from highlighting your value, don’t forget to show your passion and enthusiasm for the job. After all, every employer will want employees who can keep a positive attitude and enjoy work. But don’t go too far. A smile and a few words about why you are enthusiastic about the role are just enough.
“Why Should We Hire You?” Sample Answers
When answering the question “Why should we hire you?” during a job interview, it’s important to highlight your unique qualifications, skills, and experiences that make you a strong fit for the role. Here are a few sample answers to consider:
Student Answer for Why Should We Hire You
I trust that my academic record sets me apart from others. Studying at Cornell University has exposed me to multi-cultural environments and taught me valuable communication skills. Also, living on campus has taught me the importance of networking, organization, and self-motivation. In my extracurricular activities, I always strived for excellence. Winning the Chess championship and qualifying for the national swimming competition with my team are some of my biggest achievements. I am ambitious and proactive in my approach to learning as well as work and volunteering. I believe that these qualities set me apart and make me the ideal candidate for this position.
No Experience Answer for Why Should We Hire You
Although I may not have a professional track record, my educational background has equipped me with a strong foundation in the relevant skills and knowledge needed for this role. I have completed coursework that covers the core concepts and principles of the industry, and I have consistently performed well academically. I have also had the opportunity to work on projects that have allowed me to apply and showcase my skills in practical ways. Furthermore, I strongly believe that my values align with those of your company. I am drawn to your mission and the positive impact you make in the industry. I am eager to contribute to your team and be part of your company's success story.
Career Change Answer for Why Should We Hire You
While I may be transitioning from a different career field, I believe my unique background and transferable skills make me a strong candidate for this role. My previous experience has provided me with valuable skills such as adaptability, problem-solving, and strong interpersonal abilities that can be applied to this new role.
I am confident that my diverse background, combined with my enthusiasm, willingness to learn, and strong work ethic, will enable me to quickly adapt and excel in this new role. I am eager to leverage my transferable skills and make a positive impact on your organization.
Sales Manager Answer for Why Should We Hire You
In my 10 years of working in this field, I have acquired a valuable skill set and experience, which I would love to bring to your company. Considering my commitment to professional growth, I have been working tirelessly on my leadership and communication skills, which I am excited to use in my future job. I always commit to excellence in my work. This reflects my references and my past employer's recognition of my value as part of their team. I strive to continue giving 100% effort in all my future endeavors, which will hopefully be part of your company.
Common mistakes to avoid
When answering the question “Why should we hire you?” during a job interview, it’s important to avoid certain common mistakes that can undermine your response. Here are a few mistakes to avoid:
By avoiding these common mistakes, you can provide a strong and compelling answer to the question “Why should we hire you?” that effectively showcases your qualifications and suitability for the role.